What Is a Linga? Learn the Meaning of This Sacred Symbol
The conjunction of linga and yoni symbolizes the metaphysical truth that Shiva and Shakti are inherent in one another—are one and the same.Only one-fourth of the linga remains submerged; the rest rises above the yoni, indicating that only a fraction of the Divine Light has become flesh. This is in harmony with Vedic metaphysics, which holds that only a quarter of Purusha is associated with matter, while three quarters remain uninvolved (Rig Veda, Purushasukta 1-4). Vedic scholars interpret this to mean that in the process of manifestation only a quarter of the energy and consciousness emitted from the primordial source was embroiled in the formation of the universe—the remaining three quarters remained uninvolved. The proportions of the linga are congruent with the hypothesis of modern scientists that 80 percent of the energy and matter emitted by the “Big Bang” is unaccounted for, and that the sum total of the universe consists of the remaining 20 percent.
But the yogis, who have no interest in the material form of the linga, devote themselves to attaining union with the inner linga—the light of transcendental Truth. For them the linga is not a symbol; it is an experience.linga-meaning OF sacred symbol